Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2019

Come sail away.......

Many moons (maybe three years), ago my brother Marty asked if I would make new covers for the cushions on his sailboat ⛵️. I had never done this before but was up for the challenge. I watched a few Sailrite videos and felt confident about completing the task. We already owned a heavy duty machine (Can you believe it? What luck!) and decided to purchase the heat blade cutter to seal cut the Sunbrella fabric. Marty brought over his small air compressor and picked up an air powered staple gun (Harbor Freight). I was in business!


Some of the cushions had wooden backing so the fabric was stapled on. Others had zipper closures. Never having seen the placement of the cushions, I tried to follow the grain of the old fabric in order to get the direction for the stripes. Looks like I got it right!




I also learned a lot about matching stripes, repeats, and getting those big pieces of foam into the new covers! Whew!

I was asked to join a sail date a couple years ago, but we had already scheduled a family vacation. Marty sent me these pictures a couple months ago. Maybe someday I'll get to see these cushions again in person. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment